birding-aus

White-winged Choughs, Sundown NP, Qld

Subject: White-winged Choughs, Sundown NP, Qld
From: "Colin R" <>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 22:53:20 +1000
Hi
Went to Sundown National Park last weekend and while it wasn't the best
trip we've ever had it was interesting in that we had 20mm of rain which
basically caused the tent floor to fail resulting in an overnighter in
the car and a return to Brisbane on Sunday - one day earlier than
planned. The other half wasn't happy about spending a second night
'sleeping' in the car and as I couldn't guarantee it wouldn't rain again
we cut the trip short.
We did have the usual Turquoise Parrots, Hooded Robins, Speckled
Warblers, 1 Crested Shrike-tit and White-plumed Honeyeaters among more
'common' species. The interesting thing however was a flock of
White-winged Choughs that fed in the campsite within 6 feet of us. As
they socially pecked and prodded I noticed the adults would 'flare'
their eyes on occasion. Fascinating to see it looked like their bright
red eyes almost bulged from their heads and became bigger and brighter
as they did it. I didn't notice any adverse reaction from the rest of
the flock and it didn't appear to be a menacing behaviour, although it
was quite frightening when first noticed! I assume it's some sort of
dominant display as it seemed to be only 1 or 2 adults doing it. I
didn't see any 'reason' for it and don't know if it was controlled or
random.
I assume others have seen this? I wondered if all red eyed birds do it -
Drongos, Magpies ect?
Any comments, suggestions, thoughts?
Cheers
Colin