birding-aus

Cassowary intentionally antagonised in a Japanese "Live" TV studio

To: Birds-au <>
Subject: Cassowary intentionally antagonised in a Japanese "Live" TV studio
From: Russell Jenkins <>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 22:58:11 +1000 (EST)
I`m disturbed this evening (9:20pm aus) having witnessed a Cassowary being
enticed into a kicking demonstration on a Japanese variety TV show. Being in
Japan, I tuned in expecting to see the work of a noted Japanese bird
photographer when studio bound savages surrounded a live Cassowary (which was
captive in a netted cage) and motioned and nagged at it in the hope of
upsetting it. Is this an objective of the Kyoto Protocol? I don`t know whether
it was a Northern or Southern Cassowary, nor whom provided it, but their
behaviour was truly offensive and not suitable for a vulnerable species,
captive or not. If anyone can, please advise me if there is an authority I can

  Cheers,
  Russell Jenkins