birding-aus

Warriewood Wetlands, Sydney, 21 May

To: <>
Subject: Warriewood Wetlands, Sydney, 21 May
From: "Tom and Mandy Wilson" <>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 20:39:54 +1000
Hi all
I visited Warriewood Wetlands, on Sydney's northern beaches, this morning
for a walk with my family.  The Swamp Mahoganies are flowering (not sure
whether they were past peak or more is to come) so I was kept busy checking
out the many small green parrots in case there were any Swifties in there -
no such luck - mostly Rainbow Lorikeets, with some Scaly Breasted and Musk
as well.  Interestingly, I saw both White Browed Scrubwrens and Superb Blue
Wrens feeding on the blossom of a fairly low level mahogany - I got a good
enough look to be comfortable that they were not catching insects.

Also in the area were two small groups of Fuscous Honeyeaters - one group of
6 up in Irrawong Reserve (between the Cabbage Tree grove and the waterfall)
and a group of 3 around the back of the wetlands (on the way to the new part
of the boardwalk).  Also 5 Brown Headed Honeyeaters, 2 Scarlets, several
very vocal White Cheeked and lots and lots of Yellow Faced chasing each
other around. The Eastern Whipbirds were much less active today than normal

Other good birds were a Buff Banded Rail, Fan Tailed Cuckoo, and a Brown
Goshawk.  No grassbirds today.

Cheers
Tom Wilson