birding-aus

Fraser Island Bird Week - Day 5

To: <>
Subject: Fraser Island Bird Week - Day 5
From: "Lee & Margi" <>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 16:44:48 +1000
Fraser Island Bird Week - Day 5 - Last Day

For today's activities all the guests were invited on a Hervey Bay excursion
which stopped at a local bird hide, a large private property with some large
lagoons and a public park called Arkarra Lagoons.  All of which are very
popular birding locations and well known to us local Hervey Bay birders.

I passed on the Bird Hide and so missed out on many waders, instead myself
and a few more dedicated local bird club members stood out in the rain at
Garnets Lagoons waiting for the Kingfisher Bay bus to drop off the groups
(fortunately the rain cleared by the time they turned up).  These lagoons
are a fantastic location for birds (it's not unusual to count swans, ducks
and Pelicans in the hundreds).  The list of sightings for the morning
included -

Masked Lapwings

White Ibis

Straw necked Ibis

Glossy Black Ibis

Black winged Stilts

Red Kneed Dotterels

Willy Wagtails

Common Starlings

Black Swans

Pelicans

Little Pied Cormorants

Little Black Cormorants

Darters

Australasian Grebes

Hardheads

Grey Teal (Yet another new bird for me)

Australian Shoveler (more new ones for me!)

Nankeen Kestrel

Richards Pipit

Golden headed Cisticolla

Red Necked Avocets (Keep those new birds coming!)

Gull Billed Terns

Great Egrets

Cattle Egrets

Little Egrets

Sharp Tailed Sandpipers

Royal Spoonbill

Australasian Bittern (new to me!)

Welcome Swallow

Tree Martin

Purple Swamphens

Comb Crested Jacanas

Magpie

Magpie Lark

Swamp Harrier

Whistling Kite

And that was just at one of the lagoons, there are 3 other lagoons that we
didn't get to take the groups as we were running out of time.

After some well earned coffee and morning tea the whole group was driven to
Arkarra Lagoons which is about 10mins drive from Hervey Bay.  At this
location we ticked off -

Little Friarbird

Pacific Black Duck

Hardheads

Australasian Grebes

Dusky Moorhen

Coots

Purple Swamphens

Brown Honeyeaters

Plumed Whistling Ducks

Swans

Little black cormorants

Leaden Flycatchers

Grey Fantail

Varied Triller

Royal Spoonbills

Black-faced Cuckoo Shrike

Rainbow Lorikeets

Scaly Breasted Lorikeets

Rufus Whistlers

Lewins Honeyeaters

Blue Faced Honeyeaters

So there we have it, the Fraser Island Bird Week in review.

I certainly enjoyed the week, what could be better than 5 straight days of
birding! The activities were interesting & fun, I met some great people and
I managed to add 15 new birds to my list.

Unfortunately it was back to work for me then (the only birds I see at work
are the ones I drew on the whiteboard in my office).  At least I have my
trip to the Bunya Mountains in a week.

Thanks

Lee