birding-aus

A Brown Cuckoo Dove anecdote

To: bird <>
Subject: A Brown Cuckoo Dove anecdote
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 17:44:14 +1000
A few years ago I was checking (for Albert's Lyrebirds, what else!) in a
reserve just on the NSW side of the Border a bit east of Killarney.  A State
Forest converted to National Park.  "Koreela" N P maybe?

The Forestry access road running roughly parallel to the Border and not far
from it, provided easy vehicle access.  I noticed a number of heaps of Brown
Cuckoo Dove feathers along the road, and wondered what was happening.  They
are not large birds, but pigeons are regarded as edible.  Could it be that
someone was using this little visited road to shoot pigeons, and then
plucking them on the spot.

I happened to be emailing the National Parks and Wildlife Service office in
Kyogle, and mentioned the pigeons feathers just in case they weren't aware
of the situation.

They were aware of what was going on and were able to assure me that it was
nothing to worry about - just nature taking its course.  There was a good
local population of Brown Cuckoo Doves, and fruiting trees along the road
attracted them - which had been noted by the local hawk who regularly
patrolled the road for an easy meal of pigeon.

(Sorry. I've forgotten what species of hawk.  Grey Goshawk, I guess.)

Syd