birding-aus

RE: [BIRDING-NZ] TR: Peru - Satipo road 502 species in 12 days - arecord

To: <>, <>, <>
Subject: RE: [BIRDING-NZ] TR: Peru - Satipo road 502 species in 12 days - arecord?
From: "Gunnar Engblom (Kolibri Expeditions)" <>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 16:29:19 -0500
Hi all

The topic sent to various lists aroused some interest and response.
Kenya and Ecuador are two countries mentioned that well can beat the
Satipo road in sheer numbers.
Stuart in NZ asked why anybody would even think of pursuing so many
species in such little time. It would be impossible to retain all those
birds seen
True. But it is also true that many of those that aim for high numbers
do a lot of homework before they come. And this is obviously part of the
challenge.

I also agree with Suzi below. One gets a feel for the complex geography
involved to able to pack so many species in so little space (and time).
The Satipo road from Lima makes a very didactic transect of Peru. Should
one also included true areas of primary lowland rainforest, the total
list would grow considerably.

Happy birding

Gunnar

Gunnar Engblom-Lima, Peru.
Kolibri Expeditions-Birdwatching in South America. More Birds!
 <http://www.kolibriexpeditions.com/> http://www.kolibriexpeditions.com

 <http://www.birding-peru.com> www.birding-peru.com - checklist and
data-base. Record your sightings on-line, forum, pictures,
identification, Expedition Birding, etc.
Tel: +51 1 4765016 cel: 51-1-96437749 or 99007886