birding-aus

awaba forest

To: kfp <>
Subject: awaba forest
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 19:25:19 +1000
Hello Robyn and birding-ausers,

Yes, beyond all hope, Centennial has just decided to withdraw its application to open cut mine Awaba and stick to underground mining the area. It is to be hoped that the original push to get the area reserved might see daylight again. The biodiversity value of the area has become well established in the last 12 months and this can only help.

To re-inforce its importance to the Masked Owl I watched a pair of owls copulating about an hour ago! I listened to the male bird giving his squeaking call continually for 30 minutes while he remained hidden in foliage. Meanwhile the female gave soft screeches in response while perched in clear view on a horizontal branch. After exactly 30 minutes I heard the male calls change and I flicked on my dimmed spotlight to see the male on the females back! I turned off the spotlight and walked away chuffed that these owls will be free to live and breed without the mining disturbance for a few years yet at least.

Cheers,

Mick

Michael Todd Wildlifing Images & Sounds of Nature
Latest Additions: Hawaii (Big Island- Aki, Pueo, Wandering Tattler)
www.wildlifing.com
Toronto, NSW, Australia 0410 123715

kfp wrote:
Hi All

Great news from Lake Macquarie! Awaba Forest is safe from an open cut coal
mine! The proposal was withdrawn yesterday.
Isn't that wonderful news!!!!!!

For the Masked Owl