birding-aus

Windfarms and Birds

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Windfarms and Birds
From: Paul Taylor <>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 08:25:54 +1000
Evan Beaver wrote:
Here's a start Alan:
http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/swcbd/Programs/bdes/altamont/altamont.html

The Altamont windfarm is not a fair comparison.  From Wikipedia:
   Developed during a period of tax incentives in the 1980s, this wind farm
   has more turbines than any other in the United States. These turbines
   are only a few tens of kilowatts each. They cost several times more
   per kWh and spin much more quickly than modern megawatt turbines,
   endangering birds and making noise.

See also:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altamont_Pass
   Considered largely obsolete, these numerous small turbines are being
   gradually replaced with much larger and more cost-effective units.
   The small turbines are dangerous to various raptors that hunt
   California Ground Squirrels in the area. The larger units turn slower
   and, being elevated higher, are less hazardous to the local wildlife.