birding-aus

WBSE and Spotted Harrier.

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: WBSE and Spotted Harrier.
From: "Jon Wren" <>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 22:13:15 +1000
Gooday all,
You never appreciate the size of a bird until you have a comparison. Today 4 April I was doing an Atlas count at Greenswamp Road near Bowen NQ. I had observed a Spotted Harrier flying low over a grassy pasture on the approach to the count site. Once I arrived the first bird observed was an adult White-bellied Sea-Eagle gliding effortlessly above and seemingly minding it own business. This situation soon changed when a Spotted Harrier appeared on the scene and proceeded to spar with the bird. This certainly gave a good indication of the Harriers long legs, the Harrier continued to drop onto the WBSE which took evasive action only. After 4 sorties the Harrier withdrew and flew off in a SW direction and leaving the Eagle to fly towards the coast. Altitude during this scrap/playful adventure was fairly high and actually the highest that I have observed a Spotted Harrier. Another magic moment completly free and available for anyone to observe.
Jon Wren
Bowen