birding-aus

Newcomers

Subject: Newcomers
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 15:56:55 +1000
Hi Myles and others,
For a few months now I have been a subscriber to this mailing list, and while I
admit that it is nerve-wracking to make that first posting, I have found that
most people have been very supportive of my beginning attempts. I had many very
informative emails in answer to my questions, and also was corrected in a kind
manner when I erred on one of my identifications. I was also sent further
information about the bird I mistook for something else, off list so that I
didn't have to be corrected publicly.
A couple of weeks ago I went out with a birding group for a weekend campout,
taking my ten year old daughter with me. Both of us were made to feel extremely
welcome and people went out of their way to let us look through their scopes,
and to point out the more common birds and identification features for us.
I agree with Myles that it is intimidating as a beginner to contribute to such
an obviously "expert" list, but so far my experiences have been nothing but
positive.
               Regards, Tracey Newcombe
                   Tomerong, NSW