birding-aus

200+ Fork-tailed Swifts, western Sydney

Subject: 200+ Fork-tailed Swifts, western Sydney
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 21:39:32 +1100
Tonight 16/3/06, between 6.50 and 7.00pm, a steady stream of Fork-tailed Swifts flying low over the Richmond turf farms around Cornwallis Road (Hawkesbury River flats on the north-western outskirts of Sydney). I counted at least 170, travelling roughly east, with a few Welcome Swallows thrown in. Then ten minutes later, after sunset, I saw another 30 or so flying around over Yarramundi at the foot of the Blue Mountains. Seems there was quite a widespread flock. The sky was mostly clear after a cloudy day and earlier rain.

With this sighting I think I've actually seen more Swifts than Needletails this season - very strange.

cheers
Carol