birding-aus

St George Trip

Subject: St George Trip
From: Lynn <>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 13:21:29 +1100
Hi all

I have just come back from a couple of days away visiting my nephew on a property about 60 kms east of St George in southern Queensland. I went in my Nissan Navara, which never got out of 2wd and ate for under $10 a plate !

An overnight stop at my niece's place at Inverell on the way up produced a few good garden birds the next morning : Double-barred Finches , Yellow-rumped Thornbills , Red-rumped Parrots and Musk Lorikeets. Stubble Quail were calling in the paddock beside the house. Apostle Birds and White-winged Choughs were the first of many to be seen on the trip.

About 10 kms west of Moree I saw my first flock of Budgerigars and about 20 kms south of Mungindie were hundreds of White-browed Woodswallows and 2 Plum-headed Finches. At a roadside temporary water hole due to the recent rains were many water birds , the best of which were 4 Glossy Ibis.

I arrived at my Nephews about an hour before dark, just in time to see hundreds of White-browed Woodswallows around the dam in front of the house and a couple of Ground Cuckooshrikes near by. Over the next two days I spent about an hour each morning and evening, birding the "back yard" of about 40 acres. Some time was also spent during the middle of the days around other parts of the property interspersed with some cattle work.

I recorded 99 species in my 2 days there with 54 recorded around the house. Highlights were numerous but included the following :

* Hundreds of White-browed Woodswallows with 2 Masked Woodswallows and half a dozen or so Little Woodswallows with dependant young.

* Crested Bellbirds near the house

* Brown Treecreepers near the house

* Really close looks at a very confiding female Painted Button Quail feeding in fairly open country near the house ( definitely not an escapee!)

* Crimson Chats ,Budgerigars , Red-winged Parrots , Cockatiels ,Double-barred and Zebra Finches in the house yard.

* Numerous Red-capped Robins and 1 male Hooded Robin near the house.

* Spotted Bowerbirds , Chestnut-rumped Thornbills , Striped Honeyeaters and Restless Flycatchers were also seen near the house.

* Apostle Birds , White-winged Choughs and several Grey-crowned Babblers completed the best of the "back yard" birds.

Elsewhere on the property , the best birds seen were :

* Very close looks at a confiding adult Black-eared Cuckoo.

* Plumed Whistling Ducks , Black-tailed Native Hens , Darter , Yellow-billed Spoonbills on one of the dams.

* At another lagoon near dusk and again the next morning, were several Australian Pelicans , Royal Spoonbill , Intermediate Egret, 2 Brolga , a Diamond Dove and a flock of around 200 Plum-headed Finches , firstly drinking , then feeding on grass seeds. That is the biggest flock I have seen and it was quiet spectacular.

* On the way back to the house a Spotted Harrier was seen and upon getting out of the car for a closer look , there were several Stubble Quail calling.

As I was leaving the property the last bird I saw was the 1 and only Emu of the trip .

A quick stop at Dangar's Lagoon near Uralla ( just south of Armidale , NSW ) on the way back added Blue-billed and Pink-eared Ducks, Hoary-headed Grebe , Red-kneed Dotterel , and Sharp-tailed Sandpipers to the trip list , totally 133.

No new birds for the trip but some excellent views of some fantastic birds

Cheers

Dick Jenkin
DUNGOG NSW