birding-aus

in defence of introduced species

To: Graham Turner <>
Subject: in defence of introduced species
From: Peter Woodall <>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 11:09:31 +1000
Dear Friends

As with many ecological problems, this is a very complex issue and simple statements and solutions don't
do it justice.

With the introduced species, some have had a major impact on native species while others have had a much more limited impact. Foxes fall into the former category, House Sparrows, Red Bishops, White-winged Widows,
(remember those?) into the latter.

While I understand the emotion behind the calls for trapping/shooting Common Mynas I don't believe that they will have any real impact on the species. A sustained campaign may reduce numbers in a local area for a
while but as soon as it stops they will move back in again.

Look at the case of foxes. How many thousands/millions have been shot in Australia (mainly for their pelts)?
Has the overall population decreased at all?

A local, intensive campaign may well eradicate a local population but it won't be long before immigrants move back into the area again. Remember that all these problem species produce more young than can survive locally, as they are moved out of their natal home range they are looking to establish their own little patch and any vacant area will soon be colonised.

Unfortunately, I don't believe that Common Mynas will be controlled by shooting (politically impossible) or by trapping, except
in a very limited area.

On a brighter note, a couple of years ago I visited a winter roost of Common Mynas in a southern suburb of Brisbane and watched as at least four Australian Hobbies were taking off mynas as they came in to sleep.
Perhaps the answer is to breed up Hobbies.

Peter