birding-aus

in defence of introduced species

To: <>
Subject: in defence of introduced species
From: "Zimmerman-Clough family" <>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 13:44:35 -0800
    I do understand and share everybody's hatred of Common Mynas and all the rest, but the truth is we're never going to get rid of them and we might as well just accept them as part of the Australian avifauna. Does anybody really imagine we could ever really wipe out every last Myna, or even most of them? And then what about the Starlings, the Sparrows, the Blackbirds rabbits cats blackberries etc? Even if it were possible, it would cost billions and would be a perpetual battle which would need to involve most of the Australian population. It's never going to happen.

    There are far worse threats to the environment and thus to birds, including logging, mining, pollution and overpopulation. I am sure that any one of us in a single day causes far more harm to natural habitats than the most gigantic flock of Mynas or Starlings ever could, via our use of cars, plastics, meat and so on. If we really want to help native birds, we'd do better to start mass-murdering human-beings, not birds. (N.B. John Howard: this is a JOKE, not a terrorist or unpatriotic threat!)

    In the meantime, all we can do is plant lots of native stuff in our gardens and do our little bit to preserve bits of local habitat. And learn to love the bloody Mynas!

Best wishes, Limosa