birding-aus

Yellow Wagtails at Ash Island - Newcastle NSW

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Yellow Wagtails at Ash Island - Newcastle NSW
From: "Crispin Marsh" <>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 18:57:47 +1100
Dear Birders,
I have been lured into making the drive from Sydney to Newcastle by postings
relating to rarities at Ash island before. I recall a fruitless drive for a
painted snipe and another for a Yellow Wagtail.
Would i be so stupid to fall for the same old bait again? You bet! Alan Stuart
posted his sighting of a number of Yellow Wagtails along Wagtail Way on Ash
Island and I was off at 5:30 am on Sunday morning risking total ridicule from
she who shall be obeyed.
This time I was in luck. I very quickly got onto my first Yellow Wagtail
feeding among the gravel along wagtail Way. It was a relatively less-coloured
bird. I soon found othere. There were at least 5 as I had 2 fully coloured
birds in the scope together at one point and 3 less-coloured at another. All
the birds seemed to be race similina but there was quite a lot of variability
between the less coloured birds. One had yellow at the top and bottom of the
ventral side with the central section pale, whereas two others were coloured on
the sides of the chest but not across the full width of the breast. lovelly
birds all of them!
Peter Marsh