birding-aus

Blue Gum Swamp Winmalee

To: <>
Subject: Blue Gum Swamp Winmalee
From: "Neil KIRBY" <>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 21:05:21 +1100

Went for a walk today through Blue Gum Swamp, Winmalee (80km west of Sydney). One of the 3 pairs of Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoos I saw nesting on 4/1/06    are still going. The pair flew into the area just after midday and I could hear the female being fed. She then flew to the hollow and backed herself down tail first to feed the nestling. I also saw two other pairs of YtBC in other parts of the valley that appeared to be nesting judging by their behaviour. Scarlet Honeyeaters are still in the valley but not calling. They were gleaning insects from understorey shrubs but not feeding in the Eucalyptus piperita that are heavily in flower. Recorded 44 species in total, best being a female Spotted Quail-thrush that I followed along the track for 300m, Rockwarbler, Red-browed Treecreeper, small party of Large-billed Scrubwren, Yellow-tufted Honeyeaters, two fledgling Crested Shrike-tits chasing their parents and begging for food, a Brush Bronzewing calling and two live Sacred Kingfishers and unfortunately the remains of another on track with only head and one wingbone left and a mass of feathers, possibly the victim of a Grey or Brown Goshawk or possibly a Powerful Owl. A pair of leaden Flycatchers were harassing a pair of pied Currawongs that were collecting twigs presumably for nesting.

Neil Kirby

Winmalee (80km west of Sydney)