birding-aus

Goondiwindi Trip Report

Subject: Goondiwindi Trip Report
From: "Daniel Mantle" <>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 07:43:15 +0000

Goondiwindi-Surat Trip Report

Peter Kyne and I headed out to Goondiwindi to join another birding mate, Plaxy Barratt for the Australia Day long weekend (well we made it into a long weekend). We spent two nights camping outside of Surat as one of the reasons for this trip was to take part in the local Carp Buster on the Saturday but we caught nothing and spent more time birding than fishing. I have listed the highlights of the weekend below but if anyone wants more precise details of where we saw the birds I can try to find these out. A great few days birding in which we saw a lot of birds much closer to Brisbane than I had realised was normal.

Cheers Dan (I am sure I have left some birds out but no doubt Pete will let me know)

26th Jan. Lake Boogera (near Goondiwindi)

Spotted Bowerbird

Diamond Dove (common)

Glossy Ibis

Horsfield?s Bronze Cuckoo

White-winged Fairywren

27th Jan. The Gums (where the Leichhardt Highway and the Tara-Surat roads meet)

Painted Honeyeater ? single bird in mistletoe (surprise!)

Black Honeyeater ? common, feeding on flowering she-oaks (I think! My botanical identifications are not what they should be. I did photograph the flowers and tree if anyone wants to correct me). Males were very actively chasing the females. One bird did about 6 circles around the one tree.

Diamond Dove ? again common

Spotted Bowerbird ? great views apparently, I missed this one, having only brief views the previous day

27th Jan. Tara-Surat Road (approx. 10-20km west of The Gums)

2 Brolga

2 Australian Bustard (the first of seven for the weekend)

28th Jan. The Lillies (just north of Surat)

Black-eared Cuckoo ? a single bird seen several 100 metres apart along the same billabong (assumed the same bird)

Budgie ? single bird

29th Jan. Tara-Surat Road (approx. 10km east of Surat)

Spotted Harrier

5 Ground Cuckoo-shrike

29th Jan. Myall Botanical Gardens (halfway between Surat and The Gums)

Red-capped Robin

Brown-headed Honeyeater

MSN Toolbar now comes with Windows Desktop Search. Get it today - FREE download! -------------------------------------------- Birding-Aus is on the Web at www.birding-aus.org birding-aus.blogspot.com -------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the message: 'unsubscribe birding-aus' (no quotes, no Subject line) to