birding-aus

NSW Red-chested Button-quails in the Sydney Hawkesbury area - 28th Jan 2

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: NSW Red-chested Button-quails in the Sydney Hawkesbury area - 28th Jan 2006
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 20:11:00 +1100

Following Keith Brandwoods sighting of 7 Red-chested Button-quails in Richmond (approx. 55km north-west of Sydney CBD) a few days ago, David Mitford, David Koffel, Murray Lord, Roger McGovern and I decided to have a look for ourselves for a couple of hours this morning at the corner of Cornwallis and Cuppits Lane (close to Bakers Lagoon). We did see 2 Red-chested Button-quail amongst a few of both Stubble and Brown Quail. Also in that paddock were loads of Singing Bushlarks. Raptors seen included a female Brown Goshawk, 3 Swamp Harriers and a young White-bellied Sea-eagle.

The Hawkesbury area west of Sydney is certainly a good place to see Quail/Button-quail with Brown, Stubble and King Quail as well as Red-chested, Red-backed, Little and Painted Button-quails having been seen in the area (I have seen all but the Red-backed at least twice in the Hawkesbury area and have had only one sighting of 3 Red-backed Button-quails in the same paddock we saw the Red-chested Button-quails today).

Well done Keith for helping me to add another Sydney tick (my second in 3 days after the Orange Chat). I have seen Red-chested Button-quail previously at Bushell’s Lagoon (in the 90’s) which is the wrong side of the Hawkesbury River for a Sydney tick.

Red-chested Button-quails appear to have been turning up or probably more so being sighted more regularly in the Hawkesbury with sightings also at Scheyville and Kurrajong within the last few years.

Edwin Vella