birding-aus

Little Stint at Altona Saltworks, Melbourne - update

Subject: Little Stint at Altona Saltworks, Melbourne - update
From: Alistair Stewart <>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 21:18:45 +1100
This morning at the Cheetham Wetlands (the old Altona Saltworks), 13 people
were present looking for the Little Stint to no avail. Two vehicles of a mix
of Melbourne and Geelong birders were led in by the local ranger and another
group from Sydney, with Fred Smith, looked across the 'usual' haunts and
more ponds to the north. The thousands of stints were located earlier by
Fred's group where the Little Stint was originally found, but no luck. The
consolation for the morning, apart from hearing Bernie's (the ranger) tour
of the saltworks, was a single Broad-billed Sandpiper feeding in shallow
water on one of the northern ponds.

Hopefully there will be more luck for people over the weekend. I may be
heading down again tomorrow morning or Sunday. If anyone is eager to meet
there feel free to call my mobile (0438 840 127) and we could join forces.

Cheers,

Al Stewart

ps. I hope i haven't stepped on anyones toes reporting this. just thought it
should go out tonight