birding-aus

Hooded Plover

To: Elizabeth Shaw <>
Subject: Hooded Plover
From: Darryl Morgan <>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 21:39:19 +1100
Cheers Elizabeth for the reply.  I spoke to Val about these birds and apparently their attempts to produce offspring is quite futile.  I'd say from my observation that the biggest influence in this is human interference.  There doesn't seem to be much between the waters edge and the sand dunes during low and high tide so you usually find people walking fairly close to where their scrape is.
The best solution for this pair would be to cordon off about 200M of beach and produce another walking area for the public around the area.  Personally I could walk elsewhere, I don't need to walk on that part of the beach, nor does anyone else.  I could be as equally happy walking along a beach in Mornington or Dromana.  The pairs attempts won't get any easy either as I hear constant advertisements on the radio every day in regards to visiting Point Nepean - walk it, ride it, be inspired...sure you 3MP listeners know the ad :)  Too many places are now accessible to people.

Regards
Darryl