birding-aus

PF Pelagic

To: "" <>
Subject: PF Pelagic
From: Jennifer Spry <>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 19:58:54 +1100
Hi all,

An interesting string. No, I did not know the background to Stephen?s
email. I would say the same thing though. If the "rare" bird (s) were
seen well enough to confirm the field marks, and the bird was within a
reasonable range, then I do not think one needs to be an "expert" to add
it to one?s list. If the bird (s) were way (and I emphasise way) outside
their normally range or vision was difficult, I would be considering the
comments and the options however.

I met a couple on Bruny Island in Tas who told me that they had seen a
Grey Falcon in central Tasmania. I gave them a couple of options to
check in the field guides and mentioned that Grey Falcons are very rare.
BUT, they saw the bird, not me, and if they were 100% sure then who am I
to say that they were wrong? Does it really matter? As a friend has said
to me, It is your (their) list. And I agree.

And interestingly, I have never knowingly met, or even heard first hand,
of someone wilfully keeping a dishonest list. I think birders are,
general, totally honest with themselves, if not why bother keeping a
list?

If I were in Stephen?s shoes I would have the birds on my list; but I
would be saving to come back and see them again, just to consolidate the
sighting; but that is just me. And it is how I feel about the
Letter-winged Kite that is on my list. The one I saw when I was 16. At
dusk. In a tree. North-east of Broken Hill. I am 100% certain and it is
on my list. I can still picture the bird and the tree; I just need to
see one again! (smile).

Personally, I am just glad that bird watching is not a competitive
pastime (she said rolling around on the floor laughing)

Happy counting

Jen

ps: and for those who can get there, isn?t the WTP fun at the moment!! I
enjoyed some of the most enjoyable social birding there on yesterday ?
rarities running all over our feet, so to speak. Thanks everyone who was
there.

Jen