birding-aus

89 species in half a morning + two more at home

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: 89 species in half a morning + two more at home
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 16:42:55 +1000
Greetings,

Took off about 7:30 to see if the Blue-faced Parrot Finches were still at Gourka Road and called into my old school to give the staff some cheek at about 10. Went via Lake Eacham. In that time I saw or heard the 89 species listed below with the exception of the Yellow-faced Honeyeater and the Varied Triller. They were in the vege garden when I set out to write this. Oh yes the finches were there though in lower numbers than recently, only saw about six birds, all adults. These birds are also being seen regularly at Rose Gums Wilderness Retreat.

Australian Brush-turkey

Orange-Footed Scrub Fowl

Pacific Black Duck

Green Pygmy-goose

Great Crested Grebe

Little Pied Cormorant

Little Black Cormorant

Australian Pelican

White-necked Heron

Intermediate Egret

Black-shouldered Kite

Black Kite

Whistling Kite

Collared Sparrowhawk

Red-necked Crake     Heard only

Buff-banded Rail

Bush Hen

Purple Swamphen

White-headed Pigeon

Brown Cuckoo-Dove

Emerald Dove

Crested Pigeon

Peaceful Dove

Bar-shouldered Dove

Wompoo Fruit-Dove

Superb Fruit-Dove

Topknot Pigeon

Sulphur-crested Cockatoo

Rainbow Lorikeet

Scaly-breasted Lorikeet

Double-eyed Fig-Parrot

Australian King Parrot

Oriental Cuckoo

Common Koel

Channel-billed Cuckoo         Heard only

Pheasant Coucal

White-rumped Swiflet

Little Kingfisher

Laughing Kookaburra

Forest Kingfisher

Dollarbird

White-throated Treecreeper                Heard only

Australian Fernwren

Yellow-throated Scrubwren

Large-Billed Scrubwren

Brown Gerygone

Helmeted Friarbird

Noisy Friarbird

MacLeay's Honeyeater

Lewin's Honeyeater

Bridled Honeyeater

Yellow-faced Honeyeater      New Bird for my home list

Brown Honeyeater

Dusky Honeyeater

Scarlet Honeyeater

Pale-yellow Robin