birding-aus

Fires and Pearl Beach (Brisbane Waters NP)

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Fires and Pearl Beach (Brisbane Waters NP)
From: Charles Hunter <>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 20:26:00 +1100 (EST)
Hi all,

I had a great few days over Christmas and the New Year at Pearl Beach which is on the Central Coast about 80kms from Sydney.

Firstly, New Years day, what a scorcher! The most interesting occurance apart from the surrounding fires at one stage threatening the area was the few birds that where seen in the area (including Satin Bowerbirds in the back yard) all had their mouths open like dogs panting. I guess 45 degrees would do this to most animals!

We enjoyed exploring the surrounding Brisbane Waters National Park with the following species observed over several days. The location was mainly around the Waterfall Walk up Green Point Creek.

Highlights:
Seeing male Superb Lyrebird this morning (02/01) beneath the Water Fall at Green Point Creek. The most amazing mimicry (Kookaburra, Pied Butcher Bird, Currawong and own call!).
Male and female Satin Bowerbirds playing in garden with Bower being just metres from our garden.

Brown Thornbill
Rockwarbler
White-browed Scrubwren
Striated Thornbill
White-bellied Sea-Eagle (Patonga)
Pacific Black Duck
Chestnut Teal
Australian Shoveler
Pied Currawong
Australian Magpie
Pied Butcherbird
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
Galah
Masked Lapwing
White-throated Treecreeper
Brown Cuckoo-Dove
Crested Pigeon
Australian Raven
Black-faced Monarch
Leaden Flycatcher
Rufous Fantail
Red-browed Finch
Eastern Whipbird
Dollarbird
Laughing Kookaburra
Welcome Swallow
Silver Gull
Variegated Fairy-wren
Australian Brush-turkey (and several juveniles running around Pearl Beach)
Little Wattlebird
Noisy Miner
Lewin's Honeyeater
New Holland Honeyeater
Superb Lyrebird
Spotted Pardalote (flying in and out of burrow)
Australian Pelican
Eastern Yellow Robin
Jacky Winter
Little Pied Cormorant
Great Cormorant
Tawny Frogmouth
Australian King-Parrot
Eastern Rosella
Rainbow Lorikeet
Satin Bowerbird (male, female and juvenile seen, Bower a few metres from our backyard)
Silvereye

Regards,
Charles Hunter
Kings Cross, Sydney