birding-aus

New Year Birds

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: New Year Birds
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 09:43:46 +1000
Greetings,
If I were to keep a year list it would start like this.
Common Koel (heard 12:35 on lying down and switching off the light)
Willie Wagtail ( heard on waking)
Masked Lapwing (heard)
Leaden flycatcher  (heard)
Purple Swamphen  (heard)
Channel-billed Cuckoo  (heard)
Then Maria opened the blinds. Some of the above were then seen. Additional birds:-
Black Duck
Bar-shouldered Dove
Figbird
Barred cuckoo-shrike
A distant Goshawk
Magpie Lark
Double-eyed Fig-Parrot  (heard)
Intermediate Egret
Swamp Harrier
Cotton Pygmy Goose
Then Maria came back to bed wearing her wedding dress and I was a little distracted from the birds outside. Before getting out of bed I added:-
Sulpher-crested Cockatoo
Peaceful Dove and
Brown Gerygone.
Since sitting down at the computer I have only added White-bellied cuckoo-shrike and Spectacled Monarch

Regards,
Alan Gillanders

P.S. The Rails still had all five chicks yesterday.