birding-aus

Sub-Antarctic Islands trip 24 November - 12 December 2005

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Sub-Antarctic Islands trip 24 November - 12 December 2005
From: "Barry Bucholtz" <>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 06:33:53 +0930
I have just returned from doing a 19 day trip to the Sub-Antarctic
islands of Australia and New Zealand with Heritage Expeditions. It was
fantastic trip, we were "blessed" (Rodney Russ's frequently used
expression) with excellent sea conditions. The crew, (most) fellow
expeditioners, food, support staff, the vessel and the birding were very
good. We were fortunate in having a number of very experienced sea
birders including leaders of 2 groups on board which helped with some of
the trickier birds.

Birds seen at Macquarie Island and within the tickable zone were:-

Royal Albatross  -   both sanfordi and epomophora
Wandering Albatross  -  exulans
Shy Albatross  -  cauta
Black-browed Albatross  -  both melanophrys and impavida
Grey-headed Albatross
Light-mantled Sooty Albatross (tick)
Northern Giant Petrel
Southern Giant Petrel