birding-aus

Satin/Leaden Flycatchers

To: <>
Subject: Satin/Leaden Flycatchers
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 11:23:40 +1000
Hi Chris

Love your email address! On a par with Les Christidis who, from memory, is

These Leadens and Satins continue to divide opinions. I must say I found the
photos disappointing after seeing the birds in the flesh - and I'm not even
sure that photos are much use for id of female Satins for example.

Your comments are much appreciated.

A few others birders who have been round the traps have seen the birds and
reckon they're Satin, but almost everyone I speak to seem to have different
ideas on which are really the key characteristics to separate females
particularly, and each person's ideas seem to contradict others who are
equally sure.

I felt comfortable about the id at the location, but in view of your
observations I'll get back for another look and try to get some better pics.

I don't care which they prove to be, but I'm especially keen to pin down
this "female characteristics" business.

To the birding-aus list, may I restate that all comments are welcome, please
look at http://www.abberton.org/birds2005.htm .  I should post sometime all
the different 'tips' about female id that people have suggested over the
years, and try again for some consensus from people who are familiar with
both species in a variety of plumages.

I'll wait till I get more feedback about, and maybe more photos of, these
birds.

Thanks again Chris - I'll keep you posted, do give me a buzz if you get
around this way and have the chance to come out with me for a look at these
particular birds.

All the best

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",