birding-aus

Re: species diversity hotspots

Subject: Re: species diversity hotspots
From: (Russell Woodford)
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 21:59:33 +1100
Paul's messages don't seem to be getting through - here is one he's asked me to
forward:

I once went through the first Atlas of Australian Birds and drew a map of
NSW in which I placed the number of species seen in each one degree grid in
the state. Highest numbers were for a couple of grids around the Deniliquin
area and the mid and far north coasts.
The highest totals I get from monthly NSWBA atlas sheets sent to me are all
from the mid north coast (South West Rocks, Kempsey and Lake Cathie) but
these probably more reflect the skill and enthusiasm of the birders that
send them in, more than species diversity, although I suspect that that is a
big factor.
Paul Osborn