birding-aus

Hooded Plover - breeding cages

To: "Elizabeth Shaw" <>, "Val Ford" <>
Subject: Hooded Plover - breeding cages
From: "Jon Fallaw" <>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 17:59:00 +1100
Thanks Elizabeth,

The cage trial has finished and concurs with similar trials elsewhere.
Caging of nests was found to increase hatching success but not fledging
success and may increase the risks to sitting adults. Further study may
occur but we are not caging nests as part of our nest protection
strategy. The range of measures outlined by Elizabeth allows flexibility
to suit most situations and has greatly reduced the loss from
preventable causes. We also put a lot of effort into pest animal control
(fox & cats) and pest plants (for hoodies we target sea spurge) across
the island. We rely heavily on the 'Hooded Plover Watch' volunteers for
counts and nest monitoring and value the links we have with the
Mornington Peninsula and Inverloch groups BirdsAustralia, BOCA, WESBOC
and Parks Vic as the hoodies seem to get around a fair bit.

Cheers

Jon

PS: We banded and colour flagged our first chick 21-11-05 on Woolamai
Beach and it should fledge this week. We band on the lower leg and our
new master colour for Phillip Island is Orange over metal / right leg
two colours. Our old master colour was left leg Red over metal / right
leg two colours. Please let me know if you see any Phillip Island birds
and good luck for the season.

Jon Fallaw

Ranger

Phillip Island Nature Parks

Telephone +613 5951 2813

Facsimile +613 5956 8394

Email

MAKE A RETURN TO NATURE!

Every dollar you spend at Phillip Island Nature Parks

contributes to conservation and research. www.penguins.org.au
<http://www.penguins.org.au>

NOTICE - This message is confidential, and may contain proprietary or
legally privileged information.
If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and
delete it immediately. Under no
circumstances does Phillip Island Nature Park accept liability for any
loss or damage which may
result from your receipt of this message or any attachments.