birding-aus

National Twitchathon

To: <>
Subject: National Twitchathon
From: "alan morris" <>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:52:31 +1100
Hi Birders,

Here are the results of the winners of the NSW/ACT Twitchathon since the State competition commenced in 1993.

I must say that I have my doubts about having a standard figure for NSW because if a team operated in Southern NSW from west of the Ranges to finish on the South Coast, the potential number of species would be lower than that that could be recorded from either side of the ranges ending up on the Hunter, and I would expect that a team operating west of the ranges and ending up at Ballina on the NSW far north coast could potentially have more species again.

NSW & ACT Twitchthon Winners 1993-2005

1993    182    Hunter Thickheads
1994    201    Grey Toilet Thrushes
1995    189    Grey Toilet thrushes
1996    181    Grey Toilet Thrushes
1997    211    NICMOOKTH (surveyed across northern NSW)
1998    178    Central Coast Champions & No GST
1999    185    Grey Toilet Thrushes
2000    203    Grey Toilet Thrushes
2001    218    Whacked-out Woodswallows
2002    197    Whacked-out Woodswallows
2003    222    Whacked Out Woodswallows
2004    220    Hunter Home Brewers
2005    229    Whacked-out Woodswallows

( For the benefit of interested readers, the teams Grey-toilet Thrushes, Hunter Thickheads & Central Coast Champions have been in the competion each year since 1993, the leader of the Whacked-out Woodswallows originally participated in the Hunter Thickheads team before succesful branching out, while the Home Brewers commenced about 2001.
These five teams are the usual top 5 teams from one year to the next.)

Alan Morris
2005 Twitchathon organiser