birding-aus

Please help ID - little bird in Greenmount, Perth

To: <>, <>
Subject: Please help ID - little bird in Greenmount, Perth
From: "Gemfyre" <>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 18:13:43 +0800
Hi everyone

I just carried out my first atlas survey at the small open space down the road from my place.  And the last bird I saw was one I couldn't ID.  It's probably a juvenille of something.

It had a streaky brown head and mantle.  Black and white lower wings similar to a robin or whistler.  About the size of a gerygone or small robin - very tubby.  Nondescript beak - gerygone or thornbill like.  Relatively large eye (which made me initially think it was a juvenille whistler, but it was completely the wrong size and shape).

Ah... a quick look in Morcombe and it seems a juvenille red-capped robin could be likely.  But the breast wasn't mottled brown as far as I can recall.

Okay, I just Googled and I think it's a red-capped robin.  Does this seem likely for the area?

Belinda