birding-aus

RFI: Spotlights for Nightbirds

To: <>, "birding-aus" <>
Subject: RFI: Spotlights for Nightbirds
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 13:22:41 +1000
Michael,
if you are not lugging around a battery then your have to generate the power yourself. I presume you mean the lights with the battery included. These batteries are very small and give only a short duration. A small sealed lead acid battery will set you back about $40 and fits easily into a bumbag. While it is possible to obtain a spotlight for as little as $13 it is worth spending 10 times that for a really good one. You can then adjust the focus of the beam. I use Lightforce equipment for my tours. They really do last more than twenty times the life of the cheapies. I have equipped my guests with the cheap ones in the past as they are not always careful but am thinking of slowly moving to better quality ones for them also. There is an advantage in having bulbs of different strengths to cope with different conditions. I use 30 watts in the forest but 75 out in the paddocks.
Hope this helps.
Alan