birding-aus

Adelaide Terns again

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Adelaide Terns again
From: "John Turner" <>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 13:42:14 +1030
Hi All,
    One good Tern deserves another it seems.
    At the R Torrens outlet, one of the small Terns there has been tentatively identified as a juv. Little Tern because of dark primaries and leading edges to the wing.
    Today they have been joined by what appears to be a Common Tern. It is about 50% taller than the Fairy T's, and has a prominent black shoulder patch, is darker silver-grey on it's back, and has a longish dark, slightly downturned bill, and dark legs. It is very skittish compared with the others.
    If any Adelaide birders can get down there to give an opinion I would be pleased. I hope to get photos soon.
John Turner
Adelaide