birding-aus

RFI Where are my owls?

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: RFI Where are my owls?
From: "Val Curtis" <>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 22:22:30 +1000
Two weeks ago I returned to my home in Tonimbuk Rd, Gembrook, Victoria (70 k west of Melbourne GPO). Every year for the past 5 years we have returned at the same time to Gembrook from our annual northerly migration and within two days or so we hear the Sooty Owl, Boobook Owl and later in the final days of October or early November we also hear the White-throated Nightjar. This year we have heard none of these and wonder if any Birding-Ausers have been out this way looking for owls? Our home is not far from Mortimer Reserve which is a favourite spot for 'owl searchers'. I would be pleased if anybody who has been out this way owling would tell me if they have seen or heard any Sooty Owls in the vicinity.

Val Curtis