birding-aus

Parrot with Duck Flu

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Parrot with Duck Flu
From: John Leonard <>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 09:10:29 +1000

Reading the reports on the Parrot which died in quarantine in Britain with the dangerous strain of avian influenza, it appears that it was British Customs who were actually responsible for its death.

The bird was from Suriname in South America (where this strain has not been recorded), but was kept in quarantine alongside poultry from South-east Asia , caught the disease and died.

Poor parrot!

Unfortunately this bad quarantine practice sounds rather like that planned for Australia if the flu crosses to humans; we hear that the plan is for airline passengers to be incarcerated in airport hangers for up to 6 days (presumably the passengers from different flights will mingle).

"We will decide which pathogens come to Australia". Possibly not.

--
John Leonard
Canberra