birding-aus

Wollemi Pines

Subject: Wollemi Pines
From: "Peter Ewin" <>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 20:44:49 +1000
As Colin pointed out, the sale is for the conservation of the Wollemi Pine. The Royal Botanic Gardens and NSW NPWS (now both part of DEC) get a percentage of the sale (can't remember how much) that goes back into the budget for conservation of this and other species. Not certain how something that was only described in 1995 was presumed extinct (as listed in the web site). Technically it was an undescribed species (because it had never been seen). The fossil species were obviously closely related but not the same species (and I suspect not the same genus) as I think Wollemia was created specificially for this plant.
Cheers,
Peter