birding-aus

influenza antibodies in imported pigeons

Subject: influenza antibodies in imported pigeons
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 15:30:09 +1000
The reporting I've seen of AQIS's recent discovery of influenza A
antibodies in racing pigeons imported from Canada  has been mostly dismal.

Influenza A is widespread in birds (and humans) so its not huge news that
racing pigeons might have been exposed to it.  It might be prudent not
to import these birds, but its ridiculous to pretend their importation
would have been a major human health risk.

Many of the reports wrongly suggest a single virus "bird flu" is the
subject of the current worldwide concern and was detected in these pigeon.

Influenza A infects many species but is at its most diverse in birds.
Some subtype are primarily found in other species but I believe all
of all of the known 16 HA subtypes and 10 NA subtypes and many of the
combinations of these have been seen in birds.

There are very good reasons to be concerned about the H5N1 strain
infecting many wild and domestic birds and small numbers of humans. But
this strain has not been reported from the Americas so these pigeons are
far more likely to have been exposed to another strain.

People with influenza A antibodies arrive every day on 747s and these are
far more likely to stem from strains which present human health problems.

Google news did find one good piece of reporting:
http://www.canada.com/health/story.html?id=e57aa4fb-614c-4d1a-bb8a-03eb38482114

I know some birding-aus readers know far more about this topic.  I'd be
very interesting to hear informed opinion about the risks the importation
of these pigeons would have presented to Australian domestic or wild birds.

Andrew Taylor