birding-aus

WA TRIP REPORT ?05

Subject: WA TRIP REPORT ?05
From: Frank Pierce / Janet Mattiske <>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 13:35:03 +1000
WA TRIP REPORT ?05

We recently extended a quick trip to Perth, to see family, with a detour
through central WA to mop up some subspecies that were missed on our 2002
trip and also to once again enjoy the WA wildflowers.

Time was very restricted due to other commitments. We left Melbourne on
8/9/05 and returned on 17/10/05, travelling some 13,000k?s via Adelaide,
Curtain Springs, Docker River, Warburton, Leonora, Wittenoom, Point Samson,
Eurady, Perth, Kalgoorlie, Cape Arid NP and the Nullarbor.

The weather was generally mild but there were many very windy days and the
flies were atrocious in some places.

The only possible new species for me were Princess Parrot and Letter-winged
Kite. Although I kept a sharp eye out for these I was not surprised to miss
such ?long-shots?.

I had a lucky 24 hours in the Pilbara when I saw 5 targets that I had
expected to take a few days to track down. This allowed time to look for
the Ground Parrot at Cape Arid NP and the Mallee Whipbird at Billiatt CP on
the way home. I had no success with either of these.

TRIP TARGETS SEEN:-
Pheasant Coucal                       - highami           - waterhole 9.6k
s of hwy on road to Millstream NP
Kingfisher, Collared                    - pilbara         - T&T site Point
Samson ? 250m off rd nw of bridge
Treecreeper, Black-tailed            - wellsi              - Fortescue
River 50k w of Wittenoom
Fieldwren, Rufous                      - wayensis         - Lake Austin (F
O?C?s site)
Quail-thrush, Chestnut                - clarum            - 5k n of hwy
turnoff to Boondi NP camp area
Quail-thrush, Chestnut                - clarum            - 56k s of
Norseman ? 350m w of hwy
Quail-thrush, Chestnut                - fordianum        - 56k s of
Norseman ? 1.65k w of hwy
Quail-thrush, Chestnut-breasted - marginatum      - 231k e of Laverton ?
rocky outcrop on s of road
Quail-thrush, Chestnut-breasted - marginatum      - Toolonga NR ? 90k e of hwy
Whistler, White-breasted            - carnarvoni        - T&T site Point
Samson ? 250m off rd se of bridge
Bushlark, Singing                       - woodwardi       - 11k w of
Wittenoom + others to the west

TRIP TARGETS MISSED:-
White-browed Treecreeper          - supercilliosa    - tried extensively
from mid-NT to western limit of range

OTHER INTERESTING SIGHTINGS:-
Whistling-Duck, Plumed                         - 9.6k s of hwy on road to
Millstream NP
Swan, Mute                                           - Northam
Kite, Square-tailed                                 - Toolonga NR
Buzzard, Black-breasted                        - e of Warburton
Brolga                                                   - pair flying 15k
e of Beaufort in Victoria
Bustard, Australian                                - Wanjarri CP
Sandpiper, Wood                                   - 9.6k s of hwy on road
to Millstream NP
Sandpiper, Wood                                   - Yamarie River, Barradale
Sandpiper, Terek                                    - Carnarvon
Dotterel, Red-kneed                               - Toolonga NR
Pigeon, Spinifex                                     - Wanna Munna
Waterhole, 80k w of Newman
Parrot, Bourke's                                     - Nallan Stn
Redthroat Fieldwren, Western                 - Cape Arid NP
Thornbill, Slaty-backed                           - Wanjarri CP
Whiteface, Banded                                 - 5.6k e of Marla SA
Robin, Mangrove                                    - T&T site Point Samson
? 100m off rd se of bridge
Quail-thrush, Cinnamon                   - T&T site Nullarbor Roadhouse but
10ks from hwy
Bellbird, Crested                                    - Bight lookout 10k e
of WA border (out of range shown S&D Ed7)
Whistler, Gilbert's                                  - 5k n of hwy turnoff
to Boondi NP camp area
Finch, Painted                                       - 9.6k s of hwy on
road to Millstream NP

OTHER UNSUCCESSFUL SEARCHES:-
Ground Parrot                - flaviventris        - 2 days at Cape Arid NP
including 1 pre-dawn and 2 dusk stake-outs
Mallee Whipbird             - leucogaster     - 3 hours from per-dawn
Billiatt CP 17/10/05

Thanks to Geoff Walker, Barry Bucholtz and Frank O?Connor for generously
supplying information on sites for some of the targets. The new Birdata
website was a fantastic help in deciding where to concentrate my searches.

Frank Pierce