birding-aus

Re: Black Kite swooping

To: "Birding-aus" <>, "Philip Veerman" <>
Subject: Re: Black Kite swooping
From: "Jon Wren" <>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 20:15:05 +1000
Gooday Philip, Glenn, Allison and birding-aussers,
Just to clarify some points.
Leichhardt Tree Creek is an Atlas count area of remnant low land paperbark scrub infested with rubber vine, nagoora burr etc. There are no picnic tables and the surrounding area is utilised for horticultural purposes.
Height of paperbarks are 20-25m with trimming of trees along the power line pathway on each side of the roadway.
Usually I hear the sound of air passing through and over the wings when the bird swoops. On the ocassion that actual contact was made I never heard any of the warning noises of a bird swooping. I'm 102 Kg at 6ft1" so a bit big for an item of prey.
The reason I was in high visibility gear was due to the fact that I had completed a shift at work and decided to do a count on the way back into Bowen and bed.
Jon Wren