birding-aus

Capertee Valley

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Capertee Valley
From: "John Turner" <>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 20:52:33 +0930
Hi all,
    Our stay in the Capertee Valley finished last Friday with a list of 101 species identified (including 4 identified by call only). Nine species were new to us, but because it was our first visit to the area, some of these are well known to eastern Australian birders.
    Best sightings for us were :-
Regent Honeyeaters: end of the bitumen from Capertee and also Glenowlen Rd bridge.
    White-throated Gerygone also heard at end of bitumen
Painted Honeyeater: Glen Davis
Speckled Warbler: two sites in Glen Davis, also Pt Macquarie Rd
Rock Warbler: Glen Davis
Painted Button-quail: Glen Davis
Square-tailed Kite: Glen Davis
Turquoise Parrot: Pt Macquarie Rd
    The only disappointments for the stay were non-sighting of Swift Parrots, Red-browed Treecreepers and Spotted Quail-thrush.
    The Valley is a wonderful place to stay. We now understand why people visit it so often.
Many thanks to those who helped us with our visit, particularly Carol Probets, who also allowed us to access her property (and arranged for the Square-tailed Kite to circle overhead?).
John & Nancy Turner.
Adelaide