birding-aus

Saving Cooranbong

To: kfp <>
Subject: Saving Cooranbong
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:57:29 +1000
Hello Robyn,

Yes, I'm aware of it. Paul Osborne (Cooranbong birding-aus correspondent) lives nearby to this land and knows a lot more about it. He might mention some details

I looked into it at Lake Macquarie City Council (LMCC) the other day. The people I talked to about it weren't terribly happy about it. I gather that it will be going up for tender in a few weeks (so very short time frame). The good news (minor though it is) is that the land has mostly already been zoned 7(2) or Conservation- Secondary in LMCC's Local Environmental Plan. What this means is that it can't be developed into a 200 hectare urban development. I think that once subdivided it would be five blocks of land of about 40ha with a dwelling on each one. A certain amount of clearing would be permitted around the dwelling (for fire prevention) but permission for clearing or hobby farming or any other type of development would not be permitted. It could be used for ecotourism.

I think that the property has a predator-proof fence around it which would make it tailor-made for the release of mammals like bettongs etc by an organisation like Australian Wildlife Conservancy or Bush Heritage Fund. It already has lots of birds according to Paul O.

However, can these organisations drum up a few million dollars in the space of a few weeks? I think that thats what it would go for. In my opinion State Govt should have gifted it to one of the conservation organisations or NPWS (now DEC).

For those who are wondering, Cooranbong is in western Lake Macquarie, central coast of NSW.

Cheers (sort of),

Mick

Michael Todd Wildlifing Images & Sounds of Nature
Latest Additions: Sooty Owl, Spotted Pardalote, equipment for sale
www.wildlifing.com
Toronto, NSW, Australia 04101 23715

kfp wrote:

Hi all

A terrible thing has happened at Cooranbong NSW. Pacific Power (State
Government) has put a large parcel of land up for sale by tender. I spoke to
the real estate agent this morning, who will e-mail more detail, about the
land. It is a wildlife sanctuary with wetlands and a Koala colony. CAN ANYONE HELP WITH THE PURCHASE OF THIS LAND TO PRESERVE IT NOT TO DEVELOP IT???
Robyn