birding-aus

Alice Springs and Newhaven

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Alice Springs and Newhaven
From: John Reidy <>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 20:52:20 +1000
Hi all,

My wife and I have just returned from a two week birding trip to Alice Springs and Birds Australia's Newhaven.

Not having birded at Alice Springs previously I looked forward to a week based in Alice and then a trip to Newhaven with a maximum of 11 possible lifers (excluding Night Parrot). The 6 day trip to Newhaven was with Outback Track Tours.

I was fortunate enough to do some birding with Barry Bucholz, a long time resident of Alice Springs. With his help I managed to see: Grey Honeyeater (breeding), Western Bowerbird, Banded Whiteface (breeding), Chiming Wedgebill, Bourkes Parrots, Dusky Grasswren and Rufous-crowned Emuwren. Other good birds or second sightings included probable Slaty-backed Thornbill, Black-breasted Buzzard, Grey-headed Honeyeater, Pied Honeyeater, Black Honeyeater, Crimson Chat, and White-fronted Honeyeater.

The trip to Newhaven was with a beaut bunch of people and we saw many of the birds above in addition to Painted Finch at "The Gorge". Specifically we saw Grey Honeyeater, Banded Whiteface, Mallee Emuwren, Slaty-backed Thornbill, Black-breasted Buzzard, Grey-headed Honeyeater, Pied Honeyeater, and Orange Chat among many more familiar birds. We also heard a Striated Grasswren which responded to and sounded identical to a taped call.

Special thanks to Barry Bucholz, and at Newhaven, John Duranti (leader), Phil and Clara of Outback Track Tours and all the group on the tour.

I ended up with a total of 8 lifers and a better appreciation of the Red Centre and Newhaven.

There was cause for concern, however, with the rumours about Birds Australia distancing itself from the property. Hopefully a successful resolution will develop.

Happy Birding!

--
John Reidy
Sydney