birding-aus

RFI White-throated Nightjar records

Subject: RFI White-throated Nightjar records
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 08:35:38 +1000

A request for those birdos who have visited Chiltern (north-eastern Victoria) and recorded White-throated Nightjars.

I am keen to hear whether anyone has recorded breeding by W-t Nightjars in the Chiltern area.

I have been requested to try and find any breeding records at this locality to assist in identifying high conservation areas for the species in this part of Victoria.

Emison et al. (19878) note that 'White-throated Nightjars are summer migrants to Victoria from New Guinea or north-eastern Australia.  They occasionally occur in box-ironbark forests with sparse shrub layers.'

The Atlas of Victorian Wildlife has just a few records of breeding by the species in northern Victoria.

Would those birdos with any experience of the species breeding in the state please contact me directly?

cheers, Martin

Martin O'Brien
Threatened Species & Communities Section
Department of Sustainability and Environment
2/8 Nicholson St. (PO Box 500), East Melbourne  3002

Tel: 9637 9869
(prefixes: Interstate 03 International 613)