birding-aus

Highlights.

To: <>
Subject: Highlights.
From: "Mrs Julie Lynn McLaren" <>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 06:57:32 +1000
Some birding highlights from S.W.Qld. for me so far this year, apart from meeting some great people and renewing friendships with return guests!
First and foremost, regular, at least weekly, sightings of Grey Falcons since about beginning of May. Usually in the same area, sometimes one occasionally two,and a lot of the views close enough not to need binoculars.
Wandering around looking {for me, anyway} Redthroats and coming upon Hall's Babblers everywhere, enough for my friend to comment that there were so many "they were like chooks in your yard".
Earlier in the year flocks of Australian Pratincoles and large numbers of Bourke's Parrots, one group of four people saw 26 or 7 on the ground.
As always, the Splendid and White-winged Fairy-wrens in their indescribable breeding plumage.
A pair of Brown Falcons displaying noisily and acrobatically over the homestead.
A Spotted Harrier only 10 feet away.
Alan Morris seeing the Slaty-backed Thornbill.
The best birding moment for me was not my sighting but one of someone else. Some people had been looking for a Chestnut-breasted Quail-thrush for seven years and after searching for two days here found it on the 3rd and again the 4th day, even managed to get photographs and some video footage.
To top that off, yesterday, Graham Chapman gave me a beautiful large photo of one of these birds, along with a Cinnamon and Chestnut Quail-thrush.These will be framed and given pride of place in my lounge room.
Happy birding everyone.
Julie.