birding-aus

Red-chested Button-quail...unusual behaviour.

To: <>
Subject: Red-chested Button-quail...unusual behaviour.
From: "Graham Turner" <>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 13:58:54 +1000
Carol wrote:
It seems to be a good year for PBQs. Likewise Barn Owls, which I've seen a bit more than usual lately

Ain't that the truth. I've been visiting Castlereagh NR (approximately 45 km north west of the Sydney CBD) regularly over the last few months and have been astonished at the number of Painted Button-quail. My last visit (saturday 20th august) was a little dull as I only saw 4, but this was in 2 hours and it was very windy towards the end of my walk. I regularly see 6+ quail though some have been a bit tricky to ID. I've also seen brown quail, plus an unidentified quail which has kept me going back (possible little button quail).

As for barn owls I saw one in a hollow in Castleragh, plus I've seen two road kills within 5 km of home (Lapstone, lower blue mtns) in the last few months.

The mugga ironbark are flowering well along the southern edge of the Nature Reserve, but I haven't been able to find any regents or swifties.

Cheers
Graham Turner