birding-aus

Re: Attracting Birds

To: <>
Subject: Re: Attracting Birds
From: "michael norris" <>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 08:20:51 +1000

Hi all

Many thanks to Greg and Karen for warning us about that flora and fauna website and the reminder that local indigenous flora is generally best for local fauna.

A few other points:

-  local plants are best able to support the insect populations which are so important to the web of life, and provide the food of most of our small birds.

- some plants from your region can become invasive weeds in local native vegetation; the list the site gave for my local area includes at least one plant which has generated concern already. With climate change this danger is increasing.

- another threat is hybridisation - some tea-trees are hybridising in my area and I remember a warning about the grevilleas

On the first of these see White,J.G., Antos, M.J. - yes Mark Antos!, Fitzsimmons, J.A., Palmer, G.C. (2004) "Non-uniform bird assemblages in urban environments: the influence of streetscape vegetation" Landscape and Urban Planning.  They show that streets in Melbourne with indigenous planting have a greater abundance and diversity of birds that in other types of street.

All that said, I reckon that www.floraforfauna.com.au is very welcome and another sign that the nursery and gardening industry is improving its act. Although some real horrors are still in the shops, there are far fewer environmental weeds on sale and the other day Aldi completely withdrew a grass from its stores after expert advice!

The site does recommend local councils, SGAP and Greening Australia as sources of advice if you want to grow indigenous plants. I just wish it warned people about the dangers of environmental damage from your garden plants if you are near native vegetation and that, without a green light, plants/seeds should never be sent to other regions or to overseas. When out of place some of our lovely species are a real curse.

Michael Norris
Hampton, Melbourne