birding-aus

ID Help

Subject: ID Help
From: Andrew R Dapkins <>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 05:25:52 -0700 (PDT)

Australia Birders,

I have just returned from my lovely vacation to Sydney and I am having an ID dilemma on a Corvid.

While visiting Manly, Little Manly Point in particular, my son and I ran into what I am currently calling a Torresian Crow. It was not a full adult yet; no white eye. We both had a long close look at this individual and we where able to check the throat cackle, tail pattern and body composition and came to the conclusion and identified this individual as a Torresian. I would appreciate any confirmations on this from anyone that has seen Torresians in the Sydney area or have encountered this bird at that location. The field guide I was using does not show this bird as being that far south.

The only field guide I was using was Simpson and Days Field Guide to the Birds of Australia 7th Edition.

Any replies would be appreciated, thank you. Reply to

TSgt Andrew R. Dapkins
Misawa Air Base, Aomori-ken, Japan - http://www.af.mil/

USA Triathlon - http://www.usatriathlon.org/

Membership Chairman