birding-aus

blackface

To: "Tony Russell" <>, "'Greg Clancy'" <>, <>
Subject: blackface
From: "Tim Low" <>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 14:12:03 +1000
I give a monkeys' because I see a world that is being destroyed by people who have lost connection with nature. How to create that connection is my motivation.

David Attenborough has done more than anyone on earth to promote love of nature. Yet in his TV series on birds he dumbed down many bird names to a single word. He would just say: 'Here is an albatross', without naming the species. Why did he do that? Because, as the world's leading communicator about nature, he could see that long names are a turnoff. Many birders cannot see that because they have lived with the names for so long.

I like the old country names like 'blue jay' but fear that these are dying out along with the generation that used them, hence my concern.
Tim