birding-aus

Perth trip thanks

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Perth trip thanks
From: "Eddie Ash" <>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 17:51:36 +1000
I want to say thankyou once again to all of you who gave me advice as to where to see the birds I wanted in Western Australia.

I only had about three and a half days birding and came home really happy, having seen 98 species and 11 new ones.   All the advice I was given contributed greatly to that result.   The rainy weather made it pretty hard to find things as the birds weren't very active or calling much, but I managed to be in the right place at the right time quite often.

Highlights were - spinifex bird in Shothole Canyon at Exmouth; thick-billed grasswren at entrance to Monkey Mia carpark (we hadn't even got out of the car yet); rock parrots at Eagle Bluff near Denham; rufous treecreeper and blue-fronted fairy wren at Dryandra Woodland and red-eared firetails at Bickley Brook and Wungong Gorge east of Perth.

The only birds I bombed out on were the Western Yellow Robin and the Western Bowerbird.

The whole of the coast north to Exmoouth was incredibly lush and green - totally unbelievable for someone who came from drought!   Now we've brought the rain home with us!

Finally, a warning - if anyone is planning to visit the Monkey Mia area, be prepared.   Since the rain there are sandflies there in their thousands and they do their best to carry you away!   Even the pelicans are scratching.   One of the CALM staff was off sick because of them.

Cheers Annabel