birding-aus

RFI: Pelicans in Tasmania

Subject: RFI: Pelicans in Tasmania
From: Lawrie Conole <>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:34:28 +1000
Martin.O'm("dse.vic.gov.au","Brien");"> wrote:

I don't have immediate access to this publication and would like to have copies of the pages in that mention (I understand) Pelicans breeding (historically) on Flinders Island in Bass Strait.

Alternatively, if anyone is aware of more recent references to Pelicans breeding on any Bass Strait island this would also be welcome.

Would anyone being able to assist please contact me directly?

cheers, Martin

Sharland, M. (1958) Tasmanian Birds.  Angus and Robertson: Sydney.

Hi Martin

I used to have a copy of Sharland, but sold it a year or so ago!!!

However ... of interest to you might be the following from:

Brothers, N., Pemberton, D., Pryor, H. & Halley, V. (2001).  Tasmania's offshore islands: seabirds and other natural features.  Tasmanian Museum & Art Gallery, Hobart.  ISBN 0 7246 4816 X

page 35

"... it only breeds at four localities in Bass Strait.  In western Bass Strait there is one breeding site on Penguin Islet, whereas in eastern Bass Strait there are three islands where they are known to breed.  However, in any one year they are likely to be found at only two of these sites.  Perhaps the mostly frequently used sites are Low Islets to the south of Cape Barren Island and Little Swan Island.  They breed at all times on Penguin Islet ...".

A map is included, showing four island locations.

Cheers, Lawrie

--
=================================
Lawrie Conole

Ecology Australia Pty. Ltd.
Flora and Fauna Consultants
88B Station Street
FAIRFIELD VIC 3078 Australia
E-mail: m("ecologyaustralia.com.au","lconole");">
Internet: http://www.ecologyaustralia.com.au/
Ph: (03) 9489 4191; Mob: (0419) 588 993
Fax: (03) 9481 7679
ABN 83 006 757 142