birding-aus

Probable Superb Parrot in Altona, Melbourne (presumed escapee?)

Subject: Probable Superb Parrot in Altona, Melbourne (presumed escapee?)
From: Colin Clark <>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 12:17:54 +0100 (BST)
Sunday morning I was out on my local patch - Truganina Swamp in Altona in the
Western Suburbs of Melbourne when I heard an unfamiliar call overhead.  I
looked up and briefly got my binoculars onto a large, long-tailed parrot.  The
bird was uniformly bright green and giving a "churrup" call lower in pitch than
a rainbow lorikeet.  I cannot think of anything this could have been other than
a Superb Parrot.  The size was about right for Superb Parrot which I have seen
previously near Denilliquin.  Presumably this would be an escapee being a)
alone, b) out of its range and c) out of its usual habitat.  Does anyone have
any alternative suggestions (maybe an exotic escapee?) or know of escapees
being present in the Melbourne area?

Thanks

Colin Clark